Monday, May 21, 2012

Pink Messenger Bag


Small project #18 on my May Small Project Sew Along list was to make a birthday gift for my kindergartener's BFF.  I saw a cute messenger bag / zip pouch tutorial over at Plum and June and decided this would fit the bill. I used all of Beth's measurements but did make a few minor modifications.  

Beth assembled her outside bag pieces and attached them to flannel or batting.  Instead, I foundation pieced my outside bag fabric directly on to pre-quilted fabric - which I'm sure has a name, I just don't know what it is.  Maybe you can tell from these pictures?  It has fabric on both sides, batting in the center, and it's already quilted with diagonal lines in both directions, which make diamond shapes.


Once the outside fabric was all attached to the pre-quilted stuff, I did a little FMQ over top.  I did a giant swirl on the front and some meandering on the back.  Since all the layers were so nicely attached and the back of the pre-quilted stuff looked OK as is, I decided not to add a lining to this bag.  This is what the inside looks like: 


When I was sewing the layers (right sides together), I found it helpful to pull the handle pieces out through the zipper opening.  That way, I could keep an eye on them and wouldn't sew them into a side seam by mistake. I also went around all the edges with a zig-zag stitch once they were attached, to finishes the inside edges a bit.  (Funny, I actually own a serger, but we have not been on speaking terms for quite a few years... so zig-zag stitching with my regular machine works just fine!)

The other thing I did a little differently was to make the strap adjustable using two half circle rings (which I'm sure also have a name.... terminology is not by forte!).

My kindergartener - Jessica - could not *wait* to pose with this bag before school this morning.  She is so excited to get her picture on my blog.  Now she's *FAMOUS* !!!!  ;-)

For the front of the bag, Beth's tutorial called for a 9x3 piece above the zipper and a 9x9 piece below the zipper.  I made one big 9x12 piece, then cut it into the two sections.




Though very simple to use the pre-quilted stuff and skip the lining (huge time saver!), the bag is a little "stiff."  I like that it has structure to it but it's not very soft.  Next time, I will definitely use flannel or batting, as the tutorial suggests.


Happy Monday, everyone!  I hope you have a productive week!



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's my current list for the May Small Project Sew Along:

Completed items:
1. Complete H2H quilt - link here
2. Complete Laura's quilt - link here
3. Make pillow to match Laura's quilt - link here
5. Make 3 small memory (t-shirt) wall hangings (1 done, 2 not started) - link here
6. Make 3 small memory (t-shirt) Mickey pillows - link here
7. Make a green mug rug in time for Mother's Day  - link here
9. Finish April Seasonal Skinny (flimsy is complete) - link here
10. Complete 2 ladybug Seasonal Skinnies for May - link here
12. Make a portable sewing kit / bag / holder / something-or-other link here
18. Make a birthday gift for kindergartener's BFF - DONE!

Not started or in progress:
4. Finish quilt for Sujay (flimsy is complete)
8. Make a pink mug rug just because I want to
11. Cut fabric for summer hexie project
13. Start (and finish) embroidery for "The Forever Project"
14. Complete "Om" block for "The Forever Project"
15. Make or find a simple pattern for a tote / beach bag
16. Make a year-end gift for my kindergartener's teacher
17. Make a year-end gift for my 3rd grader's teacher
19. Make a "surprise" for my 11 running partners + myself
20. Make an Unruly letters pillow for Kim
21. Update my running scrapbook (no sewing involved!)
22. Figure out a plan of attack for the "Unless" quilt





~*~ May your day be full of Love and Ladybug Hugs ~*~

1 comment:

  1. This is such a cute bag! I love the idea of a quilted messenger bag.

    ReplyDelete

~ Thanks for taking the time to leave me some feedback! ~