Friday, May 11, 2012

Green Hexie Mug Rug


This is (yet another) one of my projects that didn't end up anywhere close to how it started out, but I think it's better than my first (47) ideas.  I wanted to make a mug rug for my sister-in-law for Mother's Day and added it to my May Small Project Sew Along project list.

I started with a plain green mug and these fabrics... 2 solids and 1 ladybug print.  (Ladybugs are kinda important in our family.)


Here's where I've decided to leave out a whole bunch of details on my thought process that would either bore you to death or confirm that I'm a loon.... but I do need to ask if you've seen Ida's Wizard of Ox hexies?  I *soooo* love them.  (here are some links -- you have to check them out!  --- Wicked WitchCowardly LionYellow Brick RoadRuby Slippers... and that's not all of them!)  Go check them out... seriously... you'll want some, too!

Anyway... skipping more insanity about how I got from those scraps to this little set of hexies:


Special thanks to my daughter, Rachel, for arranging these greens for me.  She decided where to put them and I stitched them together, no questions asked.


I had a difficult time trying to figure out how to finish these.  Did a lot of Googling and tutorial reading, but ended up with this:

1) Attached all the hexies together and ironed them well.


2) Carefully removed the basting strings and the cardstock shapes from the back.



3) Used basting spray to attach the batting to the backing and the front hexie piece.  


4) Quilted the hexies, including edges I knew I would be cutting off.



5) Drew a line around the outside of the hexies but didn't cut it yet.


6) Machine stitched the binding onto the front of the quilt, following the line I had drawn.  


7) Used my rotary cutter to (gasp!) cut off the hexagons that extended past the edge of the binding strip.



8) Hand stitched the binding to the back of the mug rug.

9) Washed and dried the rug to make sure it wouldn't fall apart!


10) Of course, after all that, upgraded the mug!


If you know any other methods for finishing hexies (these are 1", so pretty small), please let me know.  I'm hoping to do another hexie project this summer and could use some ideas.  (They'll still be 1" hexies, just put together into a bigger finished product.)  I've found several methods / YouTube videos / tutorials online, but I'd love to know first-hand what has worked for other people.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's my updated list for the May Small Project Sew Along:

Completed items:
1. Complete H2H quilt - link here
2. Complete Laura's quilt - link here
3. Make pillow to match Laura's quilt - link here
5. Make 3 small memory (t-shirt) wall hangings (1 done, 2 not started) - link here
6. Make 3 small memory (t-shirt) Mickey pillows - link here
7. Make a green mug rug in time for Mother's Day  - DONE!
12. Make a portable sewing kit / bag / holder / something-or-other link here

Not started or in progress:
4. Finish quilt for Sujay (flimsy is complete)
8. Make a pink mug rug just because I want to
9. Finish April Seasonal Skinny (flimsy is complete)
10. Complete 2 ladybug Seasonal Skinnies for May
11. Cut fabric for summer hexie project
13. Start (and finish) embroidery for "The Forever Project"
14. Complete "Om" block for "The Forever Project"
15. Make or find a simple pattern for a tote / beach bag
16. Make a year-end gift for my kindergartener's teacher
17. Make a year-end gift for my 3rd grader's teacher
18. Make a birthday gift for kindergartener's BFF
19. Make a "surprise" for my 11 running partners + myself
20. Make an Unruly letters pillow for Kim
21. Update my running scrapbook (no sewing involved!)
22. Figure out a plan of attack for the "Unless" quilt



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Linking up with: 

Confessions of a Fabric Addict for "Whoop Whoop Friday"
Sew Many Ways for "Find a Friend Friday"
AmyLouWho for "Sew and Tell"
Pieceful Life for "Show Off Friday" 

I'm looking forward to seeing what you've worked on this week!





~*~ May your day be full of Love and Ladybug Hugs ~*~

13 comments:

  1. This looks fantastic Kat!! Your sister-in-law is one very lucky woman!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Green and purple is one of my favourite combo's!
    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! This was a wonderful post : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love purple and green together. What a great idea for a mug rug.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! This is serious business! :-) You did a marvelous job, and it was obviously well worth all of the deliberation. Bravo! I love the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an adorable mug rug! Mug rugs are my latest quilting addiction!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like your mug rug...Me, too! on Things always seem to end up different than they started out. Sometimes I can't wait to see what I made!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute mug rug, Kat! I love the way the greens play together!! Whoop whoop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome, and really cute! Now I want to make one! You asked about hexagon-finishing ... Lately, (actually, for ever) all the English Paper Piecing hexagons I've done have ended up applique'd by machine onto a "background" fabric. (That may not make sense, the Christmas Hexagons Quilt on my blog is an example of what I mean.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the idea, Susie. I saw your Christmas Hexagons quilt --- beautiful!! I like that your method doesn't require binding around the edges of little hexagons.

      Delete
  10. I just love it! I have yet to attempt hexies. They scare me...ha! No doubt this little mug rug will be well used and appreciated...what a special gift. Smiles~Beth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kat, I was surfing for fall mug rug ideas for my mug rug swap and your blog site came up with this mug rug.....WOW...it is so pretty! It wasn't exactly what I was looking for but it is exactly what I would like to make at some point so I am putting it into my Pinterest page....lol.........nice tutorial too......

    ReplyDelete

~ Thanks for taking the time to leave me some feedback! ~