Sunday, May 6, 2012

If you give a mom a project list....

Have you ever read If You Give a Mom a Muffin by Kathy Fictorie?
If you give a mom a muffin, she'll want a cup of coffee to go with it. She'll pour herself some. Her three-year-old will spill the coffee.  She'll wipe it up. Wiping the floor, she will find dirty socks. She'll remember she has to do laundry. When she puts the laundry in the  washer, she'll trip over boots and bump into the freezer. 

It wasn't a muffin I was after, it was a finish for my Small Project Sew Along list.  One of the projects on my list is "cut fabric for summer hexie project."  I was looking for something semi-mindless to do one night last week, so I thought cutting fabric might be just the thing.  Of course, I have *no* idea what I want to do with these hexies, I just know I need a hand sewing project (I'll be away from my sewing machine for 3 weeks this summer).  I had never made a hexie, either, so I thought maybe I should try a few to make sure I liked it before I cut up too much fabric.

 

Let's just say, I like hexies!

Bumping into the freezer will remind her she has to plan supper. She will get out a pound of hamburger. She'll look for her cookbook. (101 Things To Make With A Pound Of Hamburger.) The cookbook is sitting under a pile of mail. She will see the phone bill, which is due tomorrow. She will look for her checkbook. 

In making these hexies, I realized it would be really handy if I expedited project #12, which is "Make a portable sewing kit / bag / holder / something-or-other."  This way, I could more easily make my new hexie addiction portable.

I was inspired by Amanda Jean's vinyl front pouch (great tutorial here) but I wanted a bag with a squared bottom, so I used her vinyl idea then made up my own measurements.




Funny... I have a gluttonous amount of fabric in my stash, yet when I went to pick a piece to make my sewing pouch, I didn't like any of it.  I've bought so much fabric because {insert someone else's name here} would love it, but none just because *I* love it.  Then, I came across some denim from my most favorite pair of jeans ever - my first pair of Levi's.  I was wearing these jeans during my first "I'm pregnant!" doctor's appointment.  I aspired to fit into them again after my first daughter was born.  (And I did!!  Yay!!)  But there came a point when there were too many holes and they were retired to my craft closet.


Anyway.... the jeans make me SO happy that I decided to use them for my pouch.  Though not beautiful (and certainly not something I'd ever give as a gift to someone else), I LOVE. THIS. POUCH.  LOVE!


I kept going and made a little sewing kit / needle holder to go with it.  I saw something similar (tutorial and all) on someone else's blog a few months back, but I lost my hard drive (with all my files and links) last month and though I searched, I couldn't find the same one again.  I did the best I could from memory.  I used more of the denim (which made the corners bulky, but whatever) and some fun ribbon and fabric I had in my stash.


Front cover

Inside of the front cover, with pocket

Inside middle, with felt for pins and needles.  I got to try out my scalloped edge rotary cutter blade.

Inside back cover, with pocket (perfect for hexies)


Back cover


The checkbook is in her purse that is being dumped out by her two-year-old. She'll smell something funny. She'll change the two-year-old. While she is changing the two-year-old the phone will ring. Her five-year-old will answer and hang up. She'll remember that she wants to phone a friend to come for coffee. 
What started out as cutting fabric for hexies ended up crossing a different project off my list, and got me started on another one... but I'll save that one for later.

Thinking of coffee will remind her that she was going to have a cup. She will pour herself some. And chances are, if she has a cup of coffee, her kids will have eaten the muffin that went with it.
Now I'm hungry.





Updated list for the May Small Project Sew Along:

1. Complete H2H quilt - Done!
2. Complete Laura's quilt (just needs binding) 

3. Make pillow to match Laura's quilt 
4. Finish quilt for Sujay (flimsy is complete)
5. Make 3 small memory (t-shirt) wall hangings (1 done, 2 not started)
6. Make 3 small memory (t-shirt) Mickey pillows
7. Make a green mug rug in time for Mother's Day  
8. Make a pink mug rug just because I want to
9. Finish April Seasonal Skinny (flimsy is complete)
10. Complete 2 ladybug Seasonal Skinnies for May
11. Cut fabric for summer hexie project
12. Make a portable sewing kit / bag / holder / something-or-other - Done!
13. Start (and finish) embroidery for "The Forever Project"
14. Complete "Om" block for "The Forever Project"
15. Make or find a simple pattern for a tote / beach bag
16. Make a year-end gift for my kindergartener's teacher
17. Make a year-end gift for my 3rd grader's teacher
18. Make a birthday gift for kindergartener's BFF
19. Make a "surprise" for my 11 running partners + myself
20. Make an Unruly letters pillow for Kim
21. Update my running scrapbook (no sewing involved!)
22. Figure out a plan of attack for the "Unless" quilt






~*~ May your day be full of Love and Ladybug Hugs ~*~

6 comments:

  1. Great post! Definitely made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth, and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Beautifull hexies and your proyect list: a wonderful idea!
    Cariños!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Silvana. If I don't have a list, nothing gets done!

      Delete
  3. Lol! I love how you wound the Mom story through your post! Very creative!! ... Your hexie project looks great! Will this be a small or larger project? ... Also, your project bag & needle book look great! What a fantastic idea to use up some old beloved jeans!! Love the fabric you used in the inside of this too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Larissa. I feel like my life usually mirrors this story! (I bet every mom can say the same thing.)

      The hexies I showed in this post will be turned into one of the small projects on my list. This summer I want to work on a bigger project, but I'm not sure what yet. Definitely some kind of quilt, but not sure what size of for whom. I'm a little intimidated at the idea of quilting and binding something like this!

      Delete

~ Thanks for taking the time to leave me some feedback! ~