Friday, May 18, 2012

Ladybug Skinnies

I have a goal this year to make one Seasonal Skinny per month.  I started in March (shamrocks) and made one for April (Easter egg).  I am a little late in finishing up May, but this is my favorite one so far!

These skinnies would probably make great table runners, but I hang mine on the wall.


Start with a few scraps of fabric, sew them together and cut out the shape.


A little Heat 'n Bond, some zig-zag stitching around the edges and voila!


Ladybugs make me smile!  :-)


In addition to the one I made for myself (on the right, red binding), I'm making a 2nd skinny every month, too.  I'm planning to give those (once I have a whole year's worth complete) to a good friend of mine as a gift.

This is (clearly) not a ladybug.  This was my 2nd Easter Egg skinny from April.  The top was done but it needed a backing and a binding.  Finally finished it!

I have 3 months done so far for each set of skinnies.  Ice cream cones are on tap for June!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Happy to cross two more things (#9 and #10) off my project list for the May Small Project Sew Along:

Completed items:
1. Complete H2H quilt - link here
2. Complete Laura's quilt - link here

3. Make pillow to match Laura's quilt - link here
5. Make 3 small memory (t-shirt) wall hangings (1 done, 2 not started) - link here
6. Make 3 small memory (t-shirt) Mickey pillows - link here
7. Make a green mug rug in time for Mother's Day  - link here
9. Finish April Seasonal Skinny (flimsy is complete) - DONE!
10. Complete 2 ladybug Seasonal Skinnies for May - DONE!
12. Make a portable sewing kit / bag / holder / something-or-other link here

Not started or in progress:
4. Finish quilt for Sujay (flimsy is complete)
8. Make a pink mug rug just because I want to
11. Cut fabric for summer hexie project
13. Start (and finish) embroidery for "The Forever Project"
14. Complete "Om" block for "The Forever Project"
15. Make or find a simple pattern for a tote / beach bag
16. Make a year-end gift for my kindergartener's teacher
17. Make a year-end gift for my 3rd grader's teacher
18. Make a birthday gift for kindergartener's BFF
19. Make a "surprise" for my 11 running partners + myself
20. Make an Unruly letters pillow for Kim
21. Update my running scrapbook (no sewing involved!)
22. Figure out a plan of attack for the "Unless" quilt



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Linking up with: 

Confessions of a Fabric Addict for "Whoop Whoop Friday"
Sew Many Ways for "Find a Friend Friday"
AmyLouWho for "Sew and Tell" (no link up this week)
Pieceful Life for "Show Off Friday" 

I'm looking forward to seeing what you've worked on this week!



~*~ May your day be full of Love and Ladybug Hugs ~*~

22 comments:

  1. These are so darn cute!!!! Love the name, skinnies : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There are so many options (patterns) available... choices for every month / season / holiday. They don't take long to put together and they're a great way to use up scraps!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy, and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. They are fabulous! I adore ladybirds, it's unseasonably cold here in the UK at the moment but every time the sun comes out our garden is full of them sunning themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kim! I make a *lot* of ladybugs! :-)

      Delete
  4. I too am a ladybug fan and I absolutely LOVE your ladybug skinny!
    I just doodled ladybugs on my nieces name (in song) and would love to make my buggy a quilt too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bobbie! I have so many ladybug patterns... every time I see one, I can't resist buying it!

      Delete
  5. What a great goal - 12 seasonal quilts. That is a very cute ladybug quilt. Like the Easter egg on too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoop whoop - just stopping in to have a look and LOVE your lady bugs/lady birds!! Amy from www.craftyshenanigans.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Amy! I think I like "ladybird" better than "ladybug." Sounds so much prettier! :-)

      Delete
  7. Your skinnies are adorable! What a great idea. I LOVE ladybugs!! So cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deborah! Ladybugs are my absolute favorite :-)

      Delete
  8. Okay, um WOW!!! You certainly are speeding through your May list Kat!!! ... These skinnies are gorgeous!! Love the ladybugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Larissa! Of course, I'm saving the hardest / most time-consuming things on my list for last... so we'll see how well I can keep up for the rest of the month!

      Delete
  9. Wow! I LOVE your tablerunners/wallhangings! Esp. the ladybugs as I just had a special order recently to make a ladybug purse for a lady who collects anything w/ladybugs! LOL

    I found you through Sew Many Ways linky party and hope you'll come over for a visit as well.

    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Tanya. Ladybugs seem to be very popular these days. I'd love to see the purse you make!

      Delete
  10. Oh, I love your skinnies!! What a great idea! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah. And as always, thanks for hosting the Friday linky party for us!!

      Delete
  11. I LOVE your ladybugs, what a beautiful job you did! My kindergarten daughter just had a ladybug party for her 6th birthday, so I still have ladybugs on the brain (but that's okay because I love them).

    Visiting from Sew Many Ways :)

    -Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those ladybugs are absolutely lovely - did you have a pattern?

    ReplyDelete

~ Thanks for taking the time to leave me some feedback! ~