I did learn something else on this block, though, which may have occurred to all of you 4 blocks ago....
I had been adding fabric to the outsides of the patchwork, to make the bottom layer the same size as the top layer (12.5"), even though it wouldn't show through to the front.
This is from my 2nd block. I completed the piecing I'd need to show through the opening on the front, then added solid around the edge to make the block 12.5".
See the black stitching line? Only the inside of that shows through to the front. All the extra fabric around the edge is hidden and would just add bulk to the seam lines once I start sewing these blocks into rows.
This certainly reduced the amount of time it took to make this block. It'll also help out on future blocks which have more than one opening on them and will need different fabrics under each.
I'll probably go back and trim the "extra" off the back of the first 4 blocks at some point, too. I think leaving the full layer on the back will just add bulk to the seams, which I don't need.
I'll continue to share 2 blocks per week (Tuesdays and Thursdays) until they're all done.... 15 more to go!
Here are the other blocks: Block 1 --- Block 2 --- Block 3 --- Block 4
~*~ May your day be full of Love and Ladybug Hugs ~*~
Thanks for stopping by!
~ Kat ~