Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Hot Pads and Kitchen Towels

The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry.
~ John Steinbeck in Of Mice and Men ~


I took 3 days off from work last week to spend with my kids since they didn't have school.  My husband left Friday to spend the weekend with some high school friends in New York and I just *knew* that 5 days (including the weekend) would result in the completion of every single sewing project I'd ever dreamed of.  

OK... maybe not...  

I'm not complaining, though, honest!  I had a great 5 days off, including our annual "Give Thanks Day" tradition the day before Thanksgiving, a lovely holiday meal, our annual "Decorate for Christmas Day" on Friday, lots of baking, shopping (not on Black Friday!), nail painting, eating out, ornament making, and just having fun.

I did manage to get a few hot pads and matching towels made, to give as gifts.  I can't show them all here, though, because at least 1 person who will be getting a set reads my blog :-).


The hot pads measure about 8.5 x 8.5 inches.  I sewed a strip of coordinating fabric (about 3 inches wide) to some store bought towels.  I used 1 layer of regular cotton batting and 1 layer of InsulBrite batting on the inside, to make them heat resistant.


I did a meandering FMQ on the hot pads.  These are the first ones I made and I was just getting the feel of quilting through 2 layers of batting so these are pretty basic, but all in all, I'm pleased with how they came out.


I added the binding by machine, attaching it first to the back then wrapping it to the front.  No pins required -- I love that!

This particular fabric was purchased at least 5 or 6 years ago.  I bought the "cheater" print on the front of the hot pads, along with 3 coordinating fabrics -- the green (from the binding), the small flowers (on the backs) and the watering cans (on the towels).  I'm happy to have *finally* used them --- and even for the person I had in mind when I bought them to begin with!  Better late than never?




~*~ May your day be full of Love and Ladybug Hugs ~*~

Thanks for stopping by!
~ Kat ~

4 comments:

  1. My hubby was away for 2 1/2 days for a wedding and I had thoughts of completing at least 3 or 4 projects. Well, that didn't happen, but I did piece a quilt that my daughter had cut out for her son, almost 3 years ago. It was hard sewing because of all the memories, but I got through it. I want him to have it for Christmas.
    I love your hot pad and dish cloths. When I do hot pads, I use one layer of batting and a layer of thermal. It's a little easier to sew through and you get that "heat" protection. Way to Go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well you might not have done everything on that infernal list but you did get a lot done! Love the hot pads and the towel embellishment is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here keep up the good work Bath towel Supplier in USA

    ReplyDelete

~ Thanks for taking the time to leave me some feedback! ~