Friday, August 8, 2014

You're Only Young Once


I spent the month of July in Upstate New York with my family and friends.  It was there, through dear family friends, that I learned Reese's story.  Reese is a beautiful, courageous 13 year old girl.  Reese is battling cancer.  Though her latest surgery results show success (clean margins!), she will be undergoing chemo until at least March of next year.  When my friends asked if I could make her a quilt, I couldn't say no!


I started working as soon as I got home.  I didn't have much to go on.... all I knew was that her favorite colors are blue and purple, and her motto is YOYO -- You're Only Young Once.


I made this up as I went along, going for a bargello-ish style.  Not much went as planned along the way, both in good ways and bad, but I have to say (and I don't say this often), I *LOVE* how this turned out.



The quilt finishes at 55" x 72" and it used 7 yards (!!!!) of fabric for the front.  I bought 14 
half-yard cuts (7 blue, 7 purple) and expected to have strips left, but all those seams ate it right up.  I had enough left to do a scrappy binding, though, so it worked out perfectly in the end.




My original plan was to FMQ this, but my new machine is acting up (again!) so I had to settle for straight line stitch-in-the-ditch with my walking foot on my old Singer.  In hindsight, I think this was the perfect (forced) option.  The back is a solid teal blue.



I managed a little FMQ around the letters, which are adhered with Heat 'n Bond Lite.  My swirls are not perfect but for the first time ever, I'm actually OK with that.  




The color is a bit off in this last photo, but it shows more detail of the FMQ around the letters, from the back of the quilt.  

(I should have fluffed this quilt in the dryer one more time before taking the pictures... it sat in there overnight and I didn't realize how many wrinkles there were from sitting in a ball until I uploaded these photos.  Oh well, live and learn!)

I hope that Reese will love this quilt and will feel the Love and Ladybug Hugs every time she curls up with it.  Praying for her speedy, fully recovery!



~*~ May your day be full of Love and Ladybug Hugs ~*~

Thanks for stopping by!
~ Kat ~

5 comments:

  1. Kat there is no words that can express how much Heather and I appreciate all your hard work and love that went into this quilt for Reese. I am sure that when Heather gives it to her she will no doubt feel the love in each stitch. You are an amazing lady with a huge heart. Talented and quick with the LOVE and LADYBUG HUGS. Thank you so much Kat. Love you xxoo. Aunt Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kat,
    The quilt is stunning and I'm sure that Reese will love it. How wonderful and generous of you to make it for her. Love, love, love the colors!!! Missed you in blog world. Glad you had a good month in NY.
    Pugs and kisses,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much love from your heart and hands, truly beautiful, and sent with love to Reese, you have shared this with us, and I, too, have a new young lady now in my thoughts . Hugs, Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful, and stitch in the ditch was the perfect solution. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's absolutely beautiful Kat, one of your best yet I think. I hope that it brings Reese lots of pleasure and love, and that she continues to get better xx

    ReplyDelete

~ Thanks for taking the time to leave me some feedback! ~