Thursday, September 20, 2012

Reusable Snack Bags

I don't know about you, but with 2 kids who take their lunch to school every day, I feel like I was buying plastic zipper bags (snack size) pretty much every time I went to the store.  I was using at least 6 each day between the two girls and it felt like such a waste!  I tried small plastic containers (too hard to open or whoops! it got thrown away).  I tried asking the girls to bring me home the bags so I could re-use them, but they ripped too easily or whoops!  it got thrown away.  

I decided to try making some reusable snack bags.  I had a whole bunch of zippers and of course, plenty of scrap fabric!  I picked two colors of the same print (my little one loves orange, my older one loves pink) so there wouldn't be any fights.


I made 4 for each daughter.  The orange one has been through the wash a few times, thus the wrinkles.  (This pink one hasn't been used yet.)


I lined them with a vinyl (flannel backed) table cloth so they are semi water-resistant.  This comes in handy pretty much daily because my little one never seems to get the lid quite right on her water bottle at snack time, so it leaks all over the place before lunch time.


Finished size these are about 4" x 6" -- perfect for crackers, pretzels, etc.


These were very simple to make.  The first one took the longest but after that one was complete, I made the other 7 in assembly line fashion.  I had all 8 done in under 90 minutes, maybe even less.


I always refer to this Moda Bake Shop tutorial as a reminder on how to layer the lining, zipper and outer fabric so that it all ends up in the right place when I'm done.  I've used this as a reference for tons of different zippered pouch items in various sizes and shapes.

We're a full month into the school year and none of these have been thrown away yet.  They are easy to wipe out at the end of the day and they can go right through the washer and dryer at the end of the week.  Several of my girls' friends have requested their own set of these.  I guess that means this experiment was a success!



~*~ May your day be full of Love and Ladybug Hugs ~*~

Thanks for stopping by!
~ Kat ~



1 comment:

  1. Excellent idea! ...and I bet your girls are feeling very special with the love that went into them:-D

    ReplyDelete

~ Thanks for taking the time to leave me some feedback! ~