Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Back to Blogland

Years ago when my life seemed less complicated, I wrote several blogs about various things.  I love to write and it was therapeutic for me, but after a while they became just "one more thing" on my ever-growing to-do list.  Over time I stopped posting, but I've always missed it and hoped that someday I'd find the time to blog again.  Starting today, I'm making the time!

I've been sewing and quilting for a little over 5 years.  I've never had a formal lesson and I rarely follow a pattern the way the pattern is written.  I'm afraid of bold colors, I tend towards "matchy-match" fabrics and I've never made a quilt that I didn't already have a home for in advance.  Scrappy -- though I love it when I see it -- terrifies me. 

About 6 weeks ago, I decide it was time to overcome some of my quilting fears, and I began searching for blogs and websites of other quilters.  I love to read and see what other quilters are working on and find new inspiration (courage?) for my own quilting.  I was so happy to stumble upon AmandaJean's blog, Crazy Mom Quilts.  Not only is she tremendously talented, but she provides tons of tutorials with pictures and easy-to-follow instructions.  Best of all, she has a link-up every Friday called "Finish it up Friday," where dozens of other talented crafters link up with their weekly finish.  More crafting / quiltling blogs to read, all right there without any more web searching.  **LOVE IT!!**

Anyway, I've been lurking and reading those blogs for a while now.  I've bookmarked dozens of "must do" projects and I've even gathered up enough courage and inspiration to try a few new things (like free motion quilting -- WOO HOO!).  I hope that this blog will lead me to even more ideas, inspirations and hopefully some feedback and advice (on my work) from others who have tried this all before me.  I hope to post at least a few times/week and will start uploading photos soon. 

For now, I'll start with a photo of the quilt that's in my profile picture. 

(I know this isn't the best photo... but I wasn't blogging yet when I made it and therefore, wasn't taking a whole lot of awesome close-up photos.  I'll do better in the future, I promise!)

This quilt was made for a dear family friend, Rita (pictured with me), as a Christmas gift.  Last summer when I was in New York visiting my friends and family, Rita gave me some dresses that she made for her daughters about 40 years ago.  She had kept them all these years and was sad to part with them, but she thought I could use the fabric for some of the quilts I make and donate to various organizations.  Of course, I knew as soon as she gave it to me that she'd be getting it back for Christmas! 

I chose the heart pattern because my maiden name is Valentine, so the heart shape has special meaning for our family and friends.  I selected white for the background so the hearts would "pop" more, and really be the focus of the quilt. The hand embrodiered quilt tag reads "You can't outgrow memories."

Thanks for stopping by.  Please leave me a comment with a link to your blog or website.  I'd love to stop by and see what you're working on!


~*~ May your day be full of Love and Ladybug Hugs ~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment

~ Thanks for taking the time to leave me some feedback! ~